We've been asked a number of times about how to store Power Ledger (POWR) on your hardware wallet. We thought we would go through the steps you need to take to transfer POWR to your Ledger Nano S.
Power Ledger is an Australian startup that’s seeking to use blockchain technology to create a peer-to-peer renewable energy network. POWR is an ERC-20 token and as such trades on the Ethereum cryptocurrency network. The Ledger Nano S hooks into MyEtherWallet (www.myetherwallet.com) to display the public keys to store your tokens.
MyEtherWallet is a popular online Ethereum wallet which you can use as an alternative of the Ledger Ethereum Chrome application. It has native support for the Nano S on Chrome and Opera, without the need to install any app or plug-in.
As POWR is its own token, there are a couple of extra steps you will need to take to view your balance through MyEtherWallet. However it's a reasonably straight-forward process.
The first thing you need to do is make sure your firmware is updated to 1.3. From there, simply follow the next few steps:
1. Connect your Ledger Nano S to your computer and logon with your PIN code. Check here if you need help setting up your Ledger Nano S
2. Select Ethereum
3. Select Settings and scroll down to Browser support and select Yes.
4. Go to myetherwallet.com
5. Click on the tab "View Wallet Info". From here you will select the Ledger Nano S option and click on the button "Connect to Ledger Wallet".
6. Select the address you want to interact with. If this is your first time transferring POWR and you don't already store Ethereum on your Ledger Nano S, then choose the first address. Press "Unlock your Wallet".
You can now receive and send tokens from your Nano S.
7. You will now see the address for your wallet. You will need to copy this to send your POWR tokens across.
8. After you have completed the transfer, you will be able to see your POWR balance by pressing the orange "Load Tokens" button. Just remember that it may take a few minutes for your tokens to complete the transfer.
While you will be able to see how many tokens you have stored, at this stage My Ether Wallet does not give you the value of your tokens. Ledger Wallet tracks the price of Ethereum through CoinBase. Hopefully that will change over time. If you want to see the value of your POWR tokens you can check by clicking the links on My Ether Wallet to etherscan.io or Ethpoler.io.
The above process is the same for other ERC-20 tokens. If the token you are looking to transfer is not listed, there are instructions through My Ether Wallet on how to add a custom token.
PLEASE NOTE: When sending POWR you will need a small amount of Ether in your account in order to cover the cost of "gas". Make sure you are storing at least some Ethereum on your Ledger Nano S to ensure you can send ERC-20 tokens.